Sivu on muuttanut uuteen osoitteeseen

Getting ready for the au pair adventure

lauantai 1. joulukuuta 2012

Getting ready for the au pair adventure

In autumn 2010 I wasn't sure if I was chosen to begin studies in a university of applied sciences I had send my application.  I got the decision of being on a deputy position, so I needed to start thinking about alternatives. After graduation from high school I had worked the whole spring and made two trips around the Europe during the summer (an interrail and a motorcycle trip). On both journeys I had visited in Germany and became interested in learning the language. I had studied German language at comprehensive school for five years (very poorly motivated) and had forgotten everything in three years. 

I realized that the au pair year would be the right option to the current situation because that way I could earn some money, improve my language skills and get new experiences. When the mind desires to go abroad and you got the spirit, it's time to take the bull by it's horns. I started by looking for information on the web and asked about my friends' experiences. Finally I decided to look for a suitable family from the Au Pair World website, since I decided to be independent and not to join any association/company.

First I was wondering to travel to some English-speaking country (except the UK, where I already got tired of weird showers and toast-breads on a language travel in 2006) because improving English skills is never useless. Also Spanish-speaking country was one option. In one advertisement a family was looking for an au pair to the American Ranch taking care of two little girls and some horses. A scientist couple in Galápagos Islands wanted to have an au pair to look after their adventurous daughter. But unfortunately there was always something wrong about the timing when I thought I had found the perfect family. I received several requests every day from different kind of families and finally a German family  with four children contacted me. We wrote each others a couple of times before  I accepted the request. So after all I spent five moths with that family in a small town in South Germany.

Making profile to the website was quite easy. I ofter hear people complaining how they can not describe themselves, but I don't find it too difficult. If you have difficulties to figure out what to tell about yourself, it's always possible to check out other au pair's profiles and get some inspired ideas. In addition there's f.ex. some au pair salary examples and a complete au pair contract on the website of Au Pair World. I highly recommend it if you have a bit independence.


My choice: Biberach an der Riss.

Some useful websites:

Au Pair World
Cultural Care Au Pair
Au Pair.com

Tunnisteet:

0 kommenttia:

Lähetä kommentti

Tilaa Lähetä kommentteja [Atom]

<< Etusivu